Does Alcohol Kill Dust Mites? Get the facts, tips, and step-by-step instructions to address mite infestations in this detailed article.
Alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) is used to eliminate various bugs and insects, but Does Alcohol Kill Dust Mites? Let’s find out the answer below.
Learn How to Get Rid of Dust Mites Naturally here
What Are Dust Mites?
Dust mites are microscopic arthropods that are about 0.5 mm long. They love to make habitats where humidity levels are 70 – 80 %, and the temperature is 68° – 77° F. Female adult dust mites live for about 90 days, twice in comparison to the males. Dust mites don’t bite, but their dead body and wastes are allergens that cause allergies. If the allergic condition becomes severe, then it can trigger asthma as well.
Dust Mites Allergy Symptoms
The person who is suffering from a dust mite allergic reaction can experience the following symptoms:
- Runny or itchy nose
- Nasal obstruction
- Itchy skin
- Facial discomfort
- Postnasal drip
- Red, itchy, or watery eyes
Does Alcohol Kill Dust Mites?
Alcohol can kill dust mites because of its dehydrating properties that work by drying out their exoskeletons. You can either use rubbing alcohol or products having alcohol as an active ingredient to eliminate dust mites’ existence.
How to Get Rid of Dust Mites?
Follow the below homemade quick hacks to get rid of dust mites for good.
1. DIY Dust Mites Removal Spray
Try this rubbing alcohol spray and say goodbye to the bothersome dust mites from your living space.
- 4-5 Tablespoons of Rubbing Alcohol
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Mixing Bowl
- Small Funnel
- Combine 4-5 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol along with 1/4 cup of water into a mixing bowl.
- Next, transfer the solution into an empty spray bottle using a funnel. Shake well before use.
- Then, spray the liquid onto the dust mites-affected areas such as beddings, pillow covers, couches, hard surfaces, and mattresses.
- Once the solution dries, run the vacuum immediately.
- This hack kills the dust mites instantly.
2. DIY Alcohol & Essential Oil Homemade Spray
Infused with the goodness of eucalyptus essential oil and vodka (contains 40% Alcohol), this method is effective to get rid of dust mites.
- 25-30 Drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 Cup of Vodka
- Empty Spray Bottle
- Small Funnel
- Pour 25-30 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and a cup of vodka in a bowl.
- After that, empty the prepared mix into a spray bottle using a funnel.
- Spritz the solution on dust mites-infested places such as furniture, beds, hard surfaces, and pillows.
- In the end, clean the area with a vacuum cleaner.
- You can also use the above solutions while washing the fabrics. Just pour a sufficient amount of it into the washer.
- Wear good quality protective gear, such as a face mask and hand gloves, to avoid any mishaps.
- Repeat the above methods until the dust mites are gone.
- Before using these hacks, first, try it on an inconspicuous part of the fabric to see if it stains or not.
Other Ways to Kill Dust Mites
If you do not want to take any risk of staining your fabric from alcohol, try these alternatives that can also kill dust mites.
- Essential Oils – Clove, matrecary, chenopodium, and fennel essential oils can kill dust mites. Make a spray, either individually or their combination with water.
- Vacuum Cleaner – Use high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter vacuum cleaners to trap dust mites and their allergens from the air.
- Steam Cleaners – Steam cleaning is a potent way to kill dust mites on those items which are not suitable for washing machines.
- Try Vinegar – Vinegar is also an effective method to get rid of dust mites because of its acidic properties. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water. Spritz on the problematic surfaces, and that’s it.
Dust Mites Prevention
Follow the below tips to prevent the future infestation of dust mites in your home in the first place.
- Run the vacuum cleaner on your carpets and furniture on a daily basis.
- Clean all your bedding weekly in a hot water setting.
- Try zippered pillowcases and mattresses to inhibit dust mites infestation.
- Clean hard floorings with a damp mop once a day.
- Use a dehumidifier to maintain the humidity level of your home under 50% to debar their thriving conditions.
- Dust daily, especially where dust mites tend to accumulate.
Here are some homemade dusting spray recipes